What kind of runner are you?
Are you the type of runner who enjoys running without distraction? Do you use your runs as a chance for some much-needed “me time” to clear your mind and/or de-stress?
Or are you the kind of runner who needs to be listening to something while you’re running to take your mind of the monotonous task at hand?
If you like the peace and quiet of running without headphones, more power to you.
I run sans headphones on occasion, but most of the time that I spend running solo I end up listening to something. And in the past year or so, that something has switched from music to podcasts.
What is a Podcast?
A few years ago, very few people knew what a podcast was. Since “Serial” arrived on the scene, however, the question was asked less frequently.
In simple terms, a podcast is on-demand audio file that you download and can listen to from virtually any device.
Think of it as Netflix for audio, except there is no monthly subscription fee.
What I love most about podcasts is that there is a limitless array of options that you can enjoy.
- Whatever your favorite hobby is, I promise there’s a podcast dedicated to the topic.
- Whatever TV show is your guilty pleasure, there’s a podcast for it.
- Whatever your political or religious affiliations may be, there’s a podcast for you as well.
I listen to podcasts to learn. I listen to podcasts to be entertained. I listen to podcasts to be challenged.
I Might Have a Problem
I’ve subscribed to more than 40 podcasts.
I’m always listening to podcasts, whether I’m running, walking the dog, or whatever. If I’m not talking to someone, odds are I’m listening to one of my favorite shows.
Whether you’re new to podcasts or not, here are are few of my favorites to listen to while running that I’d highly encourage you to check out.
- Freakanomics: If you’re a fan of the book, Freakonomics, you’ll love this podcast! Each episode is a very thought- provoking look at a certain topic. You’ll learn why there are mattress stores virtually everywhere these days, how much the president really matters in terms of day-to-day life in the United States, why there are twice as many suicides each year in America as murders, and a whole lot more. For me, this podcast is a can’t miss.
- Science Friday: The Science Friday podcast is a rebroadcast of the weekly Science Friday NPR program. I may have been a bit of a science nerd back in the day, and I get my weekly science fix and stay up to date with new and exciting discoveries by listening to this show.
- The Art of Charm: The Art of Charm features some of the best interviews I’ve ever heard, period. The host, Jordan Harbinger, is a pro, and each episode features a diverse range of guests who are each experts in their fields.
- Podcast Junkies: Each episode of Podcast Junkies features a different host of another podcast as that episode’s featured guest. I love this show because it helps me find new shows to check out as I hear different hosts share their story and talk about their show.
- The Dad-Mode Podcast: The Dad-Mode Podcast is a fun show for any dad, or any mom that wants to know how dads think. The host has a daughter who is about a year and a half old, and he just shoots from the hip about his experiences with fatherhood.
If you’re looking for a running podcast to check out, there are a lot of great ones out there, but I’m a bit partial to one in particular.
I host my own podcast, Diz Runs With, where I talk to runners about “running, life, and everything in between.” The idea behind the show is that I’m running with another person, and we just chat about whatever comes up naturally over the course of a handful of easy miles.
Try a New Podcast Today
If you’ve never listened to a podcast before, I’d really encourage you to give one a shot. Pick one from this list, or simply do a Google search for podcasts related to whatever subject interests you most, and dive in. Just don’t blame me if you become obsessed, OK?
And if you’ve been listening to podcasts for some time now, why not take a new podcast for a test drive? There are so many great podcasts available that you might find a new favorite if you’re willing to give something new a chance!